Friday, November 8, 2013

Zamzam Water

As I'm writing my final work in International Logistics I'm heavily working with air freight specific websites. Quite funny and interesting what you can find there - for example shipping requirements for Zamzam water... zamzam what? Yes - it's an own shipping category:
United Airlines will accept one jerry can containing up to 10 liters (2.64 gallons) of Zamzam water as checked baggage at no extra charge. Source: United Airlines
So, perhaps I'm just terribly uneducated, but I had no idea what this could be. But hey, we are living in the digital era - so let's ask Wikipedia:

The Well of Zamzam [...] is a well located [...] in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, 20 m east of the Kaaba, the holiest place in Islam.

According to Islamic belief, it is a miraculously-generated source of water from God, which began thousands of years ago when Abraham's infant son Ishmael was thirsty and kept crying for water. 

Millions of pilgrims visit the well each year [...], in order to drink its water. Source: Wikipedia
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico