Today there was no uni, but an event called "Reto Negocios" (Challenge of Business). My roomie R. and me looking somewhat professional, eh...
![]() |
| R. and me |
So we could feel like being on a somewhat important event. These leaders talked about strategies for a competitive Mexico, although many times it was more like a motivational speech (practice, never give up, etc.). But nice to see, aynway.
Talking about American companies...
Microsoft and data scan.
Remember that big outrage when people recently found out that Microsoft had scanned a client's mail account in 2012 as he had published confidential data from Microsoft on his blog? Really interesting discussion if companies need a judicial authorization in order to scan their own servers, knowing that the client had stolen data.
And still talking about Americans...
Eggplant?!
My US American roomie is always a source of surprise. When I recently cut an eggplant he was totally baffled:
"What a strange thing. What is it? Eggplant? Hmm, yaa, heard of it, yet..."
Ok, while his botanical knowledge is "improvable", at least he has a fair opinion of...
Obamacare.
"Of course Obamacare is bad. I mean, my whole family already has a medical insurance. So with Obamacare we just pay more without getting anything extra."
Yes, that's how I imagine the American way of life: From rags to riches and if you are too poor to afford a medical insurance, of course it's your own fault. I mean, come on- you live in the land of opportunity. Work hard and you will be rewarded. Every man is the artisan of his own fortune.
The base of the pyramid in USA probably really has to suffer. And mind you, we are talking about one of the - supposedly - most developed nations on earth...
But what we don't see, doesn't exist - so let's just focus on the beautiful things in life (man, how sarcastic...)
Jacaranda.
The university's photographer has taken some pictures of the trees on campus I like so much - and revealed their real name: Jacaranda, a plant apparently common in Mexico, but almost non-existing in Europe. Love it.
![]() |
| Source: UDLAP |
![]() |
| Source: UDLAP |
![]() |
| Source: UDLAP |
Apart, it seems that I develop a fondness for Mexican things. My roomies already make jokes that I'm much more Mexican than they are. While they are munching on their breakfast cereal, I prepare my tortilla with mashed beans, cooked plantain, a healthy helping of hot sauce and some more goodies like peanut butter-chili-cardamom-cinnamon-paste (better known as pipián rojo).
¡Provecho (enjoy your meal)!




No comments:
Post a Comment