Sunday, April 27, 2014

The love-hate relationship with Mexico

Just as a quick interruption of my travel reports I wanted to write down an aspect which I really do not appreciate of my life in Mexico: The difficulties of acquaintances.

As I had mentioned in one of my travel posts, C. and I had met a Mexican guy and his Colombian girlfriend in Campeche. As it turned out, they also study in Puebla, in another university though. For today they had invited us to have a Colombian lunch at their house. So nice.

But well, we are in Mexico. While the probability that such an invitation would end in something ugly is extremely low, it's still the country of secuestro exprés (express kidnapping), robbery and organ trade (especially the ones of Western foreigners are valued as the probability of parasites etc. is lower... not kidding...). It's sad to say but C. and I didn't accept the invitation, because it wasn't worth the risk. If in doubt, leave it out. I hitchhiked once in Mexico - although being in doubt of doing it - and it was terrible. Won't do the same mistake again.

In fact we already had bought the dessert, but some things made us hesitate. In fact, we don't know these guys. Just a nice yet superficial chat in Campeche. We don't even know their full names. Also the instructions on how to get to their home were somewhat strange. We should take a mini bus and call them at a certain moment and they would then wait for us at the right spot.

I asked them if the bus stop didn't have a name. Nope. Ok, that's Mexico. But then I asked:
"Well, just in case, could you perhaps tell me the name of the street you live in?"

And the answer?
"Ah, I'm sorry, I don't know the name."

What? How can you not know the name of the street where you live? I mean, without the shadow of a doubt I believe that there are guys who are so out of it that they really don't know their address. But then again if I didn't want anybody to know where my "victims" went to, I would act exactly in the same way. Not writing anywhere concrete directions. Just via phone in the very last moment.

Going to a foreign people's home in an unknown area in Mexico and eat what they give us? Erm, no thank you. Very sad, but next time I will suggest to meet in a public place. Oh Mexico, it will always be a love-hate relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico