I'm there - my new home is right in La Condesa, the most exciting quarter in Mexico City.
According to Wikipedia:
"Condesa and neighboring Colonia Roma were together designated as a "Barrio Mágico Turístico" ("Magic Neighborhood for Tourists") by the city in 2011."
Condesa is considered to be one of the most fashionable, especially among young businesspeople, artists, students and others. Its character has been compared to that of the Soho in New York and the Latin Quarter in Paris. Its avenues are wide and lined with trees. It is mostly residential but also filled with restaurants, cafés, boutiques and art galleries.
I really like the neighborhood - it's actually the place where I mostly stayed when visiting the city. Even better that the company I do an internship at now, provides me with my own apartment for free.
 |
| Small, but who cares - I'll be somewhere in the city all the time, anyway. |
 |
| Huge wall-closet |
 |
| Living room. |
 |
| Dining room |
 |
| Kitchen |
 |
| Pretty safe and with guards inside. In a nice and tranquil living area. And everything you need close by. |
Most people I know imagine Mexico City pretty different from what it is in its pretty areas: Green, eco (well, kind of), trendy. With lots of buildings in art deco style.
 |
| Wood or city? |
 |
| Wood or city? |
 |
| Cafés by the street everywhere. |
 |
| Huuuuge palm trees all over. |
 |
| Art work in the whole city. Each metro station has its own construction resembling the station's logo, e.g. an aqueduct for the station of "Sevilla" (the Spanish city is known for its aqueduct). |
 |
| Traditional and modern. |
 |
| Beloved Zona Rosa with a considerable Corean minority is not far from Condesa. Good food and gentle people! |
 |
| Parks, parks, parks. |
 |
| And still preserving the "spirit" (Note also the nice houses in the back) |
I only have my camera to shoot videos, which results in a somewhat crappy quality. But to give you an idea, some random shots by day and night. As you can see in the nightly version, there are bars all over - for kilometers, in each and every street. I love it.
By day:
And by night:
And what I love even more: Finally there are decent restaurants in walkable distance.
 |
| Corean delicacies. |
Even Mexican food at the "traditional" street markets (
tianguis) can be really good.
 |
| Street markets (tianguis) everywhere. |
 |
| Street markets (tianguis) everywhere. |
And you have sooo much more variety than elsewhere. But as you might have guessed, I still prefer the Asian options.
 |
| Green tea muffin from Corean bakery "Baking Story" |
 |
| Squid kara-age at Japanese restaurant Rokai. |
 |
| Tuna and Kampachi sashimi at Japanese restaurant Rokai. |
 |
| Rokai's daily nigiri platter. |
 |
| Prepared freshly in front of me, while I was sipping my delish green tea. |
Cholula where I study mainly caters to party students, budget eaters who want to get full, no matter how it tastes like (in fact, in one year it was
always in Cholula that I got food poisoning), cheap alcohol instead of museums... Here in the capital I cannot decide where I should go to first. On Monday starts my internship. Hopefully, it will be as great as my living place. Stay tuned and have a wonderful Sunday!
Hallo fabian,
ReplyDeleteEs tut mir Leid, dass ich nach lange, erst jetzt hier besuche.
Deine Wohnung sieht gut aus :-) Ist sie WG ähnlich?
Und das Sushi sieht auch frisch und lecker aus!
Bei uns ist es jetzt in den Bon Ferien.
Schon halb von den Sommerferien der Kindern verpasst.
Asuma hat noch Hausaufgaben übrig :-)
In diesem Sommer haben zwei Taifun nacheinander bei uns passiert,
und auch heute regnet es.
Danke Regen ist es nicht so stark heiß, nach dem Sinne ist es gut, aber zu oft....
Ich wünsche, du in deinem neuen Platz gut verbringst, und auch dir mit Internship gut gehst!
Liebe Grüße
Rumiko