Thursday, August 28, 2014

Peru Travel Report 6: From La Unión to Huánuco

From La Unión to Huánuco
 Huánuco is a huge city (for Peruvian standards) - and that's it. I mainly used it as a stopover to avoid too long trips. The visit to a nearby archeological site was worthwile, but the place was so poorly preserved, that I didn't shoot any picture. But at least it was a tranquil place with only one souvenir vendor. It was a nice guy who was clearly a bit bored and obviously enjoyed to finally meet a visitor who he could talk to. Instead of only thinking in making money, he gave me a friendship bracelet as a present. So friendly!


Although Huánuco is not really ugly, I didn't take any photo of the city, either. The reason simply is that this "metropolis", just a stone's throw away from the jungle, is a major hub for drug trafficing and production. Be it imagination, be it for some tangible reason - I definitely didn't feel too comfortable here.

When you leave the hotel, we will check your belongings.
As I opted for the cheapest place in the city again, I ended up in a mixture of casino and motel, which didn't improve my perception of safety, either... There were strange signs all over the hotel, for example:


"When you leave the hotel, we will check your belongings."

or

"We are connected 24hrs to the police - don't make trouble."

or also

"Don't open the window."

Hmm, was this intended to make me feel comfortable? If yes, it definitely missed the point. After the first night I was gone and on my way to... hmm... well, actually during the trip I changed my mind three times. I ended up in... ah, you'll see in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico