Now that I have finished the report series about my trip to Peru, today I just wanted to write a quick catch-up about what's going on recently.
First of all: Nothing has changed - I still love Mexico City. You have everything. Culture, architecture, concerts, vibe... and great food everywhere.
That's how I imagine a proper way to start the day:
Some folks were joking that recently I seem to live more in Asia than in Mexico, and considered these pictures such an impression might be comprehensible (but trust me, my daily
taco consumption totally counters this):
 |
| Participating at the "Samulnori" class in the Centre for Korean Culture |
Mexico City boasts an awesome Centre for Korean Culture, which offers
free courses. This goes far beyond language courses and also comprises
workshops to learn traditional Korean drumming -
Samulnori.
It was definitely fun, but having played the drums for 13 years, I felt slightly unchallenged. As the other participants were pure beginners, the difficulty level was unlikely to go up quickly, so I decided to abandon future lessons and use the free time to do a bit more travelling instead. Totally fine.
The Cultural Centre also organizes events like a week of Korean movies. So together with my Korean friend Hyemi, who works at the Centre, I watched some of the showings. It was especially nice, as there was the director of one of the movies.
 |
| Hyemi and me with one of the directors during the week of Korean movies in the Cineteca Nacional |
Besides, the Cineteca Nacional, where the event was held, is downright impressive:
 |
| Spaceship? Ah no, the Cineteca Nacional. |
 |
| Cineteca Nacional |
Hyemi and me are both totally into travelling, so two weeks ago we went to Taxco.
 |
| Arriving at night in Taxco |
There were some pretty touching moments: We went to restaurant famous for its
Pozole (a Mexican corn stew) and Adrian, the waiter, greeted me with:
"
Pozole without any meat, but loads of vegetables instead, right?"
 |
| View over Taxco |
Same thing on the market. We had some
Tostadas and the vendor asked me:
"
Hey, how's it going in Puebla?"
 |
| Ok, so there's a horse. But what does the washing machine have to do up there? |
Wow.
My last visit to Taxco had been months ago. And we are talking about
one of the most touristic cities here. Yet, these people still
remembered me - and even where I study. Really moving!
At the same time a bit sad to think that maybe serving a foreign guest was the most exciting event during several months (the lower classes here work day in, day out, and yet, barely earning enough to make a living)... While I was happily travelling through foreign countries, moving to another city and starting a new job. The world is really anything but fair. This even strengthened my conviction having made the right decision to do my internship at a company which aims to alleviate poverty.
 |
| Our flowery hostel in Taxco |
Last weekend we went to Oaxaca. Although I had already been to both cities, it was definitely nice to return, as they are some of my favourite places in Mexico. Moreover, travelling with Hyemi, I learnt a lot about Korean culture as well.
 |
| Of course we are in Mexico - that's why there are only Korean and Japanese signs. |
For example I now know the
legend about Korea's origin, and what's the deal with
Chuseok, more or less the Korean equivalent to the Japanese 月見 (tsukimi) or the European harvest festivals.
Oh, and did you know that Koreans tend to prefer places with bright and clear places, rather than dim light? So, if you design a "cozy" café in Korea, be aware and make sure to install some ultra-strong floodlight (just kidding). But honestly, there are even
studies which examine this interesting phenomenon.
 |
| Korean hostel |
It was also interesting to stay in a purely Korean hostel where I might well have been the first non-Asian visitor ever. If you have ever wondered to where all the Asian backpackers suddenly disappear as you cannot find them in any hostel: They have their "own" places. Even knowing the name of the hostel ("Diciembre") a quick Google search didn't reveal any relevant result. Seems you really have to search in Korean via Facebook. Subculture?!
Actually, the stay was a nice possibiliy to check my newly acquired "reading" skills (i.e. I can pronounce it, but don't know the vocabulary) of the Korean alphabet (Hangul). Although it is
much easier and straight forward than Japanese, I'm still not as fluent in reading it as I am in the Japanese systems. But hey, skill comes with practice.
 |
| Mitla |
We visited the archeological site of
Mitla. While less popular than Monte Alban (to where I had been during my last visit to Oaxaca), it was actually more important back then for the Zapotec culture.
 |
| Mitla |
 |
| Mitla |
One reason why Mitla is less frequented by travellers might be its somewhat remote location. This however has the big advantage that you still have a strong traditional indigenous influence. Ever wanted to buy some rattle snack or snake oil to avoid the risk of developing cancer (at least according to the vendor) - here you are.
 |
| Rattle snake and rattle snake oil. Also on offer: Rattle snake powder. Yummy! |
Oh and no - I didn't buy it. The vendor is the woman in the green shirt sitting in front of the shared taxi.
 |
| For some reason I always have my eyes closed on the photos... |
 |
| Leaving a bilingual comment in the guestbook for a temporary exhibition. |
 |
| "Important Notice: This summer, the restrooms are totally free for our visitors. Thanks." Wow - that's important news, indeed! |
 |
| Hyemi goes crazy for Cuba, because she enjoyed the mentality and salsa dancing over there so much. What a coincidence that there was a photo book about it in a local gallery. |
When not travelling, we also spend a lot of time together discovering Mexico City's gems. Yesterday we had dinner in the Colombian chain "
Crepes & Waffles". And although none of us had either crêpes, or waffles, it was surprisingly good.
 |
| Only 4 months to go until Christmas - of course it's time to adapt window displays accordingly! |
Oh, and by the way: Happy Independence Day, dear Mexico (celebrated on 15th and 16th of september each year).
No comments:
Post a Comment