Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Peru Travel Report 9: From Ayacucho to Andahuaylas

From Ayacucho to Andahuaylas
Andahuaylas features one of the biggest weekend markets in Latin America. Going there was a must.


Once again, I met extremely helpful and open people. But this time I also could feel the fact that I was in one of the poorest regions in Peru. Walking at night not always felt totally safe.


Originally, I had bought a night bus ticket to Cusco, as there were apparently no connections during the day. Yet, the hotel owner strongly discouraged me from driving around in this region during nighttime. As I should find out, there actually was lots of transport during the day, just not the "organized" one. Yet, with the receptionist telling me that the region was not exactly safe, I opted for the less organized option, which meant to take a shared taxi again.


This time I was not able to return my already bought bus ticket, but lacking any experience in travelling overnight in Peru, I accepted to lose this money. Better than getting robbed at night. It is kind of ridiculous: Living in Mexico, which many consider to be one of the most dangerous places on earth and shunning to take the night bus in Peru, while happily and frequently doing it in Mexico... Lack of knowledge can be a major factor for fear - just as in the case of Mexico, which in most parts of the country is definitely not at all as dangerous as many people believe.


The market in Andahuaylas was definitely impressive, as for a foodie like me, there was a lot to see and taste. But for the "average" traveller I would not recommend a stop here: Rough roads, uncomfortable climate, questionable security, few real sights... But personally, I was looking for the authentic Peru and the places with potential for the implementation of microfinance measures. And here I was definitely at the right spot.



The market virtually spanned over the whole town. On the left side of the river was the livestock market, the right side featured the instantly edible stuff (and was hence more interesting for me).


These animals... are made for eating?! I think I grow old: Back in 2010 during my first trip to Asia, I ate everything I came across. Fast-forward to 2014, I just didn't see any sense in screwing up my "vegetarian" diet just to chew on such a cute, poor animal. And even if I had liked it, outside Peru I never would have the chance to get it again. Guinea pig? For me vitally alive, please.




You could also buy looots of coca leaves, including pasta básica, which is nothing else but cocaine paste.


Bottom: The origin. Top: The freshest produce you can imagine.


At least people here still know what gelatin is made of: Collagen extracted from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of animals. And yet, people still eat it happily as a small treat.

Reminded me of the Easter lambs we make in my region in Germany

Peruvians know how to make decent bread. Smell of wooden ovens!
Wicked combination of "Fasnetsküchle" (a German version of deep fried dough) and vanilla custard cream inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico