So, here comes the second report about my travel in Colombia. After I had recovered at least a bit from my horrible flu in Bogotá, I caught the bus to Villa de Leyva.
 |
| The hostel where I finally could put up a tent and spend some tranquil days. |
The trip to this beautiful town could have been nice, in pretty
landscapes and not doing anything. Well erm.. My seatmate, funnily
enough also named Fabian, ran off at the mouth. He asked me things like
if I liked Hitler, if I was into war and weapons, if my grandparents
were nazis, etc. To make me feel even more uncomfortable, he turned out
to be Jewish. Hmm, ok... Not exactly the kind of conversation I needed
in that moment, still suffering from high fever...
He
then tried to convince me that the whole world was terrible and that he
surely felt that in one and a half year Third World War would begin. He
then managed to smoothly go off on a tangent and suddenly talked about
how we all were controlled by Martians who spanned a web of satellites
all over the planet.
At the same time, he managed to put
in every sentence some random information about hallucinogenic plants,
mushrooms, drugs, etc. According to him, we have lots of this stuff here
in Mexico, but sadly I had to disappoint him, admitting that not only
didn't I have any experience in trying them, but that I actually didn't
know even one of these plants (well, apart from the poisined food which
also made me feel being in another world - not too recommendable, by the
way...).
Due to all the serpentines on the road and my
somewhat exhausting seatmate, my fever and headache quickly worsened
and I felt so sick I just wanted to vomit. I closed my eyes and told him
that I really could not listen any longer if he placed value on having
clean clothes. He was deadly disappointed after having such a nice and
entertaining conversation with me (aha), but luckily he turned around
and annoyed some poor ladies behind him...
 |
| Typical architecture in that part of Colombia. |
Finally
arriving in Villa de Leyva, I found out that there was not only a long
weekend, but exactly that weekend there would also take place the
Fiesta de las Luces (Light
Festival) with two nights full of fireworks. Guess what - no free
rooms. Nowhere. Honestly - I asked in hotels I probably could not even
have afforded, but no - from the ugliest and dirtiest place up to the
high class hotels: Villa de Leyva was fully booked.
 |
| Let's just pretend I also contributed something useful for setting up the tent and did not just stand by. |
I was
about to leave again, but then, after whimpering around a bit in front
of the receptionist of one of the nicer yet economical places, she
proposed to put me up a tent. Hell yeah - long time since I went
camping. The two super-cute little daughters helped me to set up
everything and so I spent some nice and relaxing nights next to a
peaceful stream and banana trees (with 2 sleeping mats and 3 blankets -
not so warm over there).
Oh and the festival? Nice, but
nothing different (only longer) than what you would know from other
professional fireworks. Well, and looots of ash fell down the air, right
into the eyes of the spectators. Not so funny. But then again,
Colombians showed to be so attentive. When I once rubbed my eyes after
some ash had entered, two nearby women immediately offered me water to
get it out.
Some more random observations about Colombia:
- The
rumor about beautiful Colombian women (in most cases) is actually true.
The one about Colombian Spanish being the clearest and most
understandable in Latin America... not so much.
- Colombians love to say "Ah sí, claaaaaaro" (what to me just sounds awkward).
- Despite its bad reputation, Colombia at night felt generally safer than Peru and much safer than Mexico.
- Houses
many times are built in a kind of colonial style, with several floors
and nice stone walls. Definitely pleases the eyes more than Peruvian or
Mexican "functional style" architecture.
And some observations a bit less politically correct:
- Apparently,
every country in the world, no matter how underdeveloped, seems to be
able to produce way better toilet paper than the Mexicans do.
- In general, people are much more slender than what you normally see on the street in Mexico.
- Neither Colombian, nor Mexican food comes even close to the delights of Peruvian cuisine.
- You
really see a lot of drug addicts - apparently, Colombia itself suffers
most from foreign demand... Drug wars, addicts, reputation...
 |
| Already knew 3 kinds of "Sapote" from Mexico. In Colombia I discovered a very tasty fourth type. |
Uuh,
and the least pleasant part during the whole journey happened at the
very end of my stay in Villa de Leyva. Already in the bus, some guys
tricked me, messed up my clothes and stole all my euro reserves,
together with my German debit card. Luckily, I always carry with me all
the necessary information to block my bank cards. Literally with the
last credit I had on my Mexican phone card, I managed to call the
emergency number in Germany and the card was blocked before anything worse happened.
 |
| Deep-fried sweet, resembling German "Berliner" (flavour-wise), but additionally to the jam, in Colombia they put cheese. Bascially, Colombians add cheese to everything... Everything. |
 |
| Military base near my hostel. |
 |
| Short hike near the hostel. |
 |
| Short hike near the hostel. |
 |
| You go to jail if to take a bath here... |
No comments:
Post a Comment