Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mazatlán's pelicans (ah and just let's throw in the visits to Concordia and Copala for free)

I had never seen as many pelicans as I instantly did in Mazatlán to where I went after having celebrated New Year in Mexico City with H.


Mazatlán is the northernmost state I went so far in Mexico. And indeed it's different. People have a different melody when they talk, they use other words, food is different (great!), many middle class citizens speak English (not common in more Southern parts of Mexico). Housing style, infrastructure and well - many things are distinct from what I knew from other parts. Impressive, how diverse Mexico is. This is one thing I will definitely miss... Sea, jungle, volcano, snow, world renown restaurants, wildlife... you name it - and you don't have to leave the country!

A woman explained me that these birds are literally called "Scissor birds" due to their distinctive tail.

As I later remembered, Mazatlán is also the city where they shortly before had busted one of Mexico's most infamous drug cartel leaders, "El Chapo Guzman". But I did not feel insecure at all. The only thing I noted was that here things were much more expensive than Southern Mexico. But if you know something about the country's steep development differential, this should not come as a surprise.


Mazatlán turned out to be one of my favourite spots, indeed. You can do island hopping, you can go to the beach (maybe I should finally buy some swimming trunks...), you get super fresh fish everywhere (do the street stall tour, I tell you!), the historic old town is so pretty, aaaand... fresh coconuts only set you back some 7 pesos (less than 50 cents).


There are also some "Pueblos Mágicos" near Mazatlán. I went to Concordia, which is easy to reach, but not too impressive.


I then decided to still go to Copala, which is much harder to reach due to its remote location and infrequent public transport.

Marlin Taco - served in a flour tortilla, which is typical for the Northern parts of Mexico (in the South they are made out of corn).

Although I almost had to hitchhike in order to get back to Mazatlán, the visit to Copala was a unique and very impressive trip. Highly recommended!




Cotton?!

"Pescado zarandeado" (charcoal grilled fish) is one of the local specialities.


Isla de las Piedras - just for me :-)



Salmon-Sesame bites. You have a lot of gringos in Mazatlán, but this luckily also translates to superb eateries that serve this solvent clientele.

Beautifully soft fish fillet, served in a cilantro lime sauce and with plenty of shrimp. Uuuh, was that good!


Ceviche Tostadas. Don't fear the raw fish!

Somehow like the vintage bus better.

Concordia.

Copala.

Ok, I get all the activities - but "bathrooms" (baños) - seriously? How remote are we?





In Copala's church there is a text about how to fight the devil...



Copala's beautiful church.


Conocut milk-bathed fillet.

Mazatlán in the morning.


The latter was already hit by a car, or what?




Who would have thought that one of the world's highest lighthouses is that tiny?! The "highest" actually refers to the height above sea level (157m).

Peaceful Copala:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico