Thursday, April 23, 2015

Nayarit

Nayarit is actually not a tourist destination at all and few years ago it was a feared hot spot of Mexico's war on drugs. During exactly that time, H. had lived there. So, I wanted to see how it was and as it lay on the way between Mexcaltitán and Mexico City, I did a quick trip to her former "home".


To be honest, I was not impressed. I totally understand that Nayarit is not a tourist destination. Because there is simply nothing to see...

Lucky to find my beloved Apple Bananas on a local market.

But again, there was a funny scene. I found accommodation in one of the city's cheaper options, but then I wanted to use internet which was not available there. I asked the receptionist about a nearby internet café. She started to give directions, but then the guard joined in and made me an offer. He'd accompany me to the neighbouring high-end deluxe hotel. There of course they did have internet. Just for guests. But guess what - the guy had some... "connections" with one of the female receptionists over there. And I was a convenient excuse to leave his workplace and to pop in at the luxury hotel. Now, that I call a win-win outcome!


I also paid a visit to a nearby lake. Very nice, and impressive to see the villas around.

Why on earth would you name your restaurant "the plug hole"??? I passed...

Maguey! Tequila, or well - Mezcal - country over there.


Since there was no public transport that day and no taxis waiting at the lake, I started the long way back walking. A guy with a machete on his back came by on his quad bike. Offered to give me a ride. Hmm, should I? Yes, I did, I would never have reached town on foot. He was super nice. Never judge people on their appearance. Neither on their machete... or so the saying goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico