Sunday, August 4, 2013

Arrival and initial conclusions

First conclusion: It's not always the best idea to buy the (not so) dirt cheap trip, if then you have to transfer twice.
The security guard's comment in Frankfurt Airport:

"Frankfurt - San Juan - Panamá - Mexico City. Nice round-trip!"...

Well, as for me, could be a bit less "round".

As it was to expect, our luggage decided that a 30-hour-trip is a bit short and it took a quick nap in San Juan. Nice - first few days without anything in Mexico.

"Yes, your luggage has arrived. But we cannot send it to Cholula before Thursday" (it was Sunday then).
"But of course you can pick it up here. Just send one person and we'll cover your expenses".

Erm - you mean, one person will "pick up" TWELVE suitcases? Lil' bit picky, isn't it? Ok, so we sent three of us, but trust me, it still was a whole lot of hustle...

Anyway, we got out luggage - completely - and decided to discover a bit more of the town, which will host us for the next two years. So excited!

Arrival at Mexico City after a loooong flight with two transfers... and without luggage
At first, I was pretty scared by the news we here about Mexico all day: Drug war, murders, robberies...

First morning in Cholula, in the Hostal San Pedro Cholula
But again, my experience I made in Japan during the Fukushima incident was proved to be right: Media is extremely "one-sided".
As for now I didn't make any "bad" or "dangerous" experiences, but instead I see many people walking around pretty "high-so", obviously without having to fear any problems. Yet, Puebla and Cholula are said to be one of the safest places in the whole country. Lucky me.

Zócalo (city centre) in Cholula

Nuestra Señore de los Remedios in Cholula, on top of the world's biggest pyramid.

Strolling around in Puebla

Church near the university in Cholula
 What was really interesting that the culture shock was not the same as in Asia or Spain. Up to now it was always like "Oh, this country is so great. Exciting. Everything splendid... Hmm, ok, step by step I see some disadvantages... What the heck am I doing in this country?"

Discovering the campus with my fellow students

Faculty of economics
Here in Mexico it was totally the other way round: I came with clear expectations of how it should or would be. I was simply "prejudiced" by my experiences in Asia. Smiling people, bustling streets, food all over, low criminality rate, non-European religions...

Wake up - you're not in Asia anymore. Mexico's different. And that's good. I'm here to make new experiences. First time in America. And I'm darn blown-off by pretty everything.

Market in Cholula

Trying new beverages... Slightly bitter cocoa drink

Zócalo (city plaza) in Cholula with artists in traditional costumes
I did see lots of inequality in Asia. But here it's different. The gap between the rich and the poor is enormous and what is really distinct that the wealthy have to protect themselves heavily. They show off their belongings and their privileged position, but they also hide between barb wired walls and heavily armed bodyguards.

Mexico is the home of the world's richest man and at the same time, half of the population live in severy poverty.

Everywhere you see policemen with shotguns. When you take the "safer" bus you have to pass several security controls and everybody's filmed before the bus departs. Taxis shouldn't be taken from the street but called in advance via mobile phone. Different security measures I still have to get used to.

Now, what is really useful that we understand "everything" around us. Though Mexican is not Spanish, you can get around without any problems if you speak the language. People are also really helpful, but it's still new to me that not everybody's smiling like in Asia. I now live in a "Macho" country, so of course the tough guys always keep a straight face. But - meanwhile - at least the ladies in the hostel respond to my smiles :-)

What was a bit scary when M. and me traveled to the ancient pyramids of Cacaxtla and Xochitécatl. Normally you could just walk from one site to the other, but there was a fence with the warning that under certain circumstances it is not recommended to take this path.

"Shall we do it anyway?" Of course we d...'oh! The fence is locked. Ok, let's take the official route.

Perhaps this saved us from some very unpleasant happenings. Later we asked a security guard why there is said warning and he told us about several "asaltos" (that is, assaults) against tourists who took the path. As I mentioned - different security standards here.

Popocatépetl and me (some minutes earlier it had erupted some deeply grey ash)

Playing lowbrow in Xochitécatl

View from Cacaxtla to Xochitécatl. Don't take the path seen in the picture... Supposedly dangerous!
 Anyway, everything turned out fine and the views where gorgeous. And even more surprising: No tourists in two of the country's most "important" archeological sights.
I persuaded M. to take a guide and we didn't regret it, as his version of the sites' history was totally different from what the signs would have told us. Briefly speaking his story was more like "Peaceful Mexican people, horrible Amercians and Spanish people. Everything garnished with a bit (or a little bit more) of conspiracy theories (just think of 9/11)... Interestingly enough he was an official guide.

Xochitécatl combines ancient Aztec and modern Catholic traditions
 Ok, what else... Cholula is really "chula" (nice), Puebla as well. Unfortunately we didn't find any earthed adapters, but according to the Mexicans that'd be just an unnecessary feature... Hmm... 'k... They'll know...

Architecture here doesn't knock my socks off, but given the omnipresent poverty, the purposive style is understandable.

Honestly, I did expect more from Mexican food, as it is recognized as an UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage. As we mainly eat on the street, there's not the praised diversity of dishes. Instead, it almost drives me crazy when I just read "Tacos", "Cemitas", "Tacos", "Cemitas" (that is, Tortillas and buns loaded with meat). Ah, talking vegetarian - impossible here.

Quesadillas at the opposite of the hostel. Staple food here...
Thanks to my language skills I do get my food without meat, but as everything is cooked with (loads of) lard, nothing here is really animal-free... Perhaps a bit too presumptuous regarding the malnutrition many areas here still suffer.
Interestingly enough, Mexico is the world's fattest country. And really - people here are... HUGE.

When I arrived at the airport the security guy told me that I will love the Mexican women, who are so much more beautiful than in any other country in the world and that I please should "choose" a nice one. Hmm, I don't want to be offending but regarding their weight, most women here would probably severely threaten my well-being under "certain circumstances" ;-)

Mexican hair cut - 50 pesos (around 3 euros)
One last thing, which is really annoying: The man selling gas on this truck. Every morning, 7 a.m. he starts his deafening jingle - repeat - repeat - repeat and drives up and down the road for hours (like in this very moment). Aaaargh...

Still, I really like the idea to live here for the next two years. Expences are low, people are friendly, culture is unknown, country is huge (that is, a lot to see), campus is amazing, fruits are not as varied and abundant as in SE Asia, but still cheap and delish (especially when processed into juices).

That's it for now. I'm off. See you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico