| Vendor making tamales (not the one who was estimating so badly...) |
Vendor: "How old are you?"
Me: "What do you think?"
V: "13?"
Me: "Erm... no"
V: "15?"
Me: "Neither. Much more!"
V: "18???"
Nothing more to say... And I thought Asians were bad in guessing a European's age...
| Did I already mention that Mexico is a meat eater's country? |
| Museum of Cholula |
What's different: In Spain the equivalent filling word for "well..." is "pues...", but in Mexico you hear "esteee..." everywhere.
| Bread is a staple food in Mexico. Some look very similar to the German "Hefezopf" or "Mutschel" |
Finally, Mexicans seem to be extremely proud of their culture, while at the same time obviously having some problems with their self esteem.
When M. didn't want to eat the blue tortilla (made out of purple corn), they got almost angry and told him that there's also a McDonald's around the corner...
He then decided to eat Chile en Nogada at another place somewhere else. But when they saw me not ordering anything (as I had just eaten the blue quesadilla), they started again, if I didn't like their food, if I thought I was superior and that I really should order now, NOW, too!
| Tortilla made out of purple corn... |
| ... filled with pumpkin flowers, "huitlacoche" (a fungus that infects corn crops) and salsa |
"The times of Spanish occupation are over. You are offending the Mexican people! We know the price of our products and you are behaving as if we were selling such inferior goods!" and so on...
| Fresh fruit topped with amaranth. Double the size and pay no more than 20 pesos (sligthly more than 1 euro) |
I'm still not totally sure if people here are just more outgoing, or if they really have a severe issue with their self esteem due to their history of loss and defeat... Anyway, really interesting to see the total opposite behaviour than in Asia. Over there everybody of them would have lost his "face"...
| People cool down in a music fountain |
No comments:
Post a Comment