Well, here in my quarter in Cholula there is a guy who pursues a tradition not less rare: El Afilador - The knife-sharpener. I have the feeling that I hear him everyday, but my barber told me today that he actually "comes out when he needs money"...
This time the sound you hear doesn't come from a valve, but it really is a flute. Pan pipes called chifre to be exact. What's interesting that I found a recording which was captured in Argentina and it seems to be pretty much the same. Intercultural similarities:
Together with his cry - Afiladoooooor - echoed by the empty streets every time gives me the creeps. It's exactly like in this video:
| Source: Wikipedia |
It dates back to the time when barbers were expected to perform bloodletting as well. White represents the fresh bandages, red the blood-soaked ones and the pole itself represents the staff that the patient gripped during the procedure to encourage blood flow. Blue might either be used to complete the color spectrum of the American flag, or as a representation of venous blood, whereas red stands for arterial blood.
Yummy - next time when I see this pole I will think twice if I really want to enter the bloodletting shop...
No comments:
Post a Comment