Monday, September 9, 2013

The ever-present Valentina Sauce

You know you are in Mexico when there is one certain sauce every - the ever-present "Salsa Valentina".
Salsa Valentina comes in two varieties: "Hot" and "Extra hot"
Even Wikipedia knows it:

Valentina's ingredients are water, chili peppers, vinegar, salt, spices and sodium benzoate (as a preservative). The taste can be described as a citrus flavor, with a spicy aftertaste.

Well, Mexicans think they can bear spicy food. But actually, after living 7 months in Thailand, even the hottest sauces I can find here are nothing but poor. Just never tell this fact the Mexicans - they either get really angry... or adventurous:
My roomies thought if the German can spoon the oh so hot sauces they cannot be so bad. 
...
Hmm, well, let's say they brought themselves in a somewhat degrading situation. Since this incidence I'm not a German for them anymore ;-)

Anyway, Mexicans put their Valentina literally on everything. Here the shots from only one afternoon:

Valentina with snack sticks.

Valentina with tamarind pulp.

Valentina with coconut water.

Valentina with chips.
And I'm pretty sure you will like the following picture:

Valentina with...
Ok, so what do we have in the picture above? Well, the Valentina stands on top of some kind of nuts which are very common here, although up to now I didn't figure out how they are called, as it was not that urgent to get them again after I tried them for the first time... And then?

Counter-clockwise: 
  • Valentina with pumpkin seeds inside their husk.
  • Valentina with worms caught from the tree (yes, they are common here and no, I didn't try them, because already their smell is disgusting).
  • Valentina with chapulines, that is grasshoppers. As soon as you enter a market area here, you'll hear "chapulines, chapulines".
Valentina even comes with pre-packed manufactured chips, with packed nuts and not to forget any kind of pizza. When you order pizza from the delivery service you get an extra bag with different sauces. In the pizzeria there's in fact no additional olive oil, but a huge rack full of ketchup, Maggi seasoning, soy sauce, and of course Valentina. At least, if you ignore these blasphemous condiments, in many cases you'll get a decent pizza. Thank goodness...

1 comment:

  1. No way, I think I know now what I had in our cafeteria just a few days ago! I think it was Salsa Valentina! The bottle didn't have a label on it so of course I had to try it ;)...and the Wikipedia description fit pretty well to what it tasted like and the color looked exactly the same! It may have just been a similar product (I don't know if it's common here, but it might be, since we're in the south!) - but either way, I thought it was funny reading about it on here!

    ReplyDelete

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico