So, on 24/09/2013 at 8 ( + 30 minutes for the Mexican punctuality...) we got on our private bus and drove to Chalco in the state of Mexico. Ah, and yes - Mexico is not only the name of the country, but also of one of the 31 states. But when you hear somebody saying something like "This weekend I go to Mexico" it refers to a third option: México D.F. (Distrito Federal), i.e. Mexico City. Easy, isn't it?!
The site visit was pretty interesting, but unfortunately it was forbidden to take photos. So hear just one from outside - and an "illegal" snapshot.
| My Mexican fellow students already quipped that I didn't comply with the Mexican rule to wear checked pattern clothes (see two photos below) :-D |
So, what you see here is mainly everything the centre consists of: A huuuuge (700m) hall. On the left side you can see the gates for the truck docking. What you cannot see is the maze of conveyor belts starting from the middle of the hall. Chalco is one of the biggest single hall distribution centres in Mexico, but there are much larger sites consisting of up to 5 interconnected halls.
At first we got a short introduction: The commodities imported from Asia reach the centre in Manzanillo, strategically located at the coast etc. etc.
Finally the actual site visit started. I think they really feared we could steal some washing powder, as we were divided into two groups with three overseers each... And I was already hoping that I could "borrow" some of these delicious canned refried beans - not.
Actually, I don't see any unique logistics strategy Walmart would use in order to set apart from his competitors. But still, the sheer number of different products and the fact that they don't stay for more than 24 hours inside the centre - yes, it was kind of impressive.
And once more I was confirmed that having a proper education is imperative. Just imagine to spend your life pushing boxes inside a warehouse without ever seeing the sunlight. Unfriendly bosses (at least, I didn't have the feeling of a great working climate), and talking all the time to the computer. The latter is due to Walmart's introduction of the Voice Speaking system. Before, the warehousers used a hand-held scanner in order to register and track the goods. But with only one hand free it becomes very diffcult to handle heavy and bulky goods. So now they talk into a microphone and the mobile speech recognition software translates the Spanish information into machine language, which is suitable for the database. Seems to work quite fine.
Not much more to say about this trip. Enjoyed the opportunity to see something like this. And of course there was a cultural insight as well, namely during the return trip: My Mexican fellow students asked the French professor what kind of Mexican food he likes.
His answer (believe it or not): Everything.
For me this is already incredible enough. But then he even started bashing Asian cuisine. As he had stayed there for several years, he explained the Mexicans about local customs. E.g. Grupo Bimbo, Mexico's biggest baking company, also sells in China. Bad enough that the bread is soft and sweet. But it gets worse. They mash red beans with sugar and fill it into the bread. Disgusting.
Erm... Monsieur. As a sideline: I love the disgusting thing you are talking about. Thank you for making me craving Anko paste. I already see: Either you love Asian cuisine. Or the Mexican one. Never heard of anybody who loves them equally. Guess what's my preference...

No comments:
Post a Comment