A difference between German and Mexican habits to buy and eat bread is that in Germany it's considered freshest in the morning. In Mexico instead either they make the bread all day, or people just don't care if not oven-fresh anymore. People on their bicycle coming out at night and selling their bread are pretty common here.
Bread in the evening.
As the Afilador (knife sharpener) and the Camotero (sweet potato vendor), also the bread vendor boasts his unique sound:
"My" vendor had some other breads as the ones you can see you the photo below, but the important is the variety you have.
I bought two different kinds for some dirt cheap 7 pesos (0.39€), but to be honest the taste was not overwhelming. But what was interesting that they apparently don't restrict themselves to wheat flour, as one of my panes (breads) savoured slightly of rye.
It was nice to try, but I think I will stick to my beloved bagels...
Hungry?!
Ah, by the way, I told you that salads can contain everything, but vegetables are not really necessary. When I saw this I wondered if I perhaps had accidentally ordered a grated block of cheese...
Well, apart from being extremely salty, it was not too bad...
Already awaiting the next street vendor... What will he sell?! What will be his sound?! Love this local culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment