| Great weather and view at El Dorado Airport in Bogotá |
Reviewing the photos, I have a better impression than when I arrived. With virtually no sleep and at the point of becoming sick, Bogotá didn't seem very beautiful to me. In fact, the first 3 days I slept around 15 hours each. Somehow, I "always" (ok, it was the second time) get sick when arriving in a South American country.
Luckily, the sickness didn't influence my appetite, so there was plenty of food to try.
| Deep-fried buñuelo, a dough consisting of flour, yuca, egg, and who knows what else. Amazingly tasteless... |
| Smaller arepa, supposedly with more finely ground maize, but I didn't taste too much of a difference. |
| And some more arepa, this time stuffed with fried egg and once again deep-fried. Not my favourite... |
| "Goodbye" arepa. Won't miss you too much... This one was fried, filled with cheese and topped with around one block of butter. Soooo heavy.... |
| The waitress told me that the dish would come with a salad. Erm... you mean these sad two slices of tomato?! |
| This was in one of the "better" restaurants - and still standard fare. |
| Somehow reminded me of Portuguese cuisine... |
But well, even Lonely Planet states that you don't go to Colombia for the food... True.
When I returned to Bogotá at the end of my trip - not being sick anymore - I could enjoy the city a bit more. I recognized the pretty colonial style of the houses.
Yet, only the very historical centre was that well-preserved. After only very few streets, the "true and ugly" part of the capital become more than apparent. Nevertheless, even in these rougher parts I found some gems, like the great MAMBO Museum of Contemporary Art. Not only did I like the exhibitions much more than the ones in Medellín's counterpart MAMM, but also the architecture was impressive - open spaces and lots of sunlight.
| Open spaces and sunlight |
| Bogotá as seen from the museum. |
| Colombia is that close to the equator, that you can easily calculate the distance to the horizon, supposing that the earth is perfectly round. |
| Proving wrong each of the meanings of Colombia's national coat of arms... and somehow true. |
I was surprised that Colombians use "Ciao" instead of "Hasta luego" or "Bye" and that they do use the verb "coger" like in Spain, namely with the meaning of "to take (a bus etc.)". Generally, in Latin America, "coger" is used as a swearword for "reproductive activities".
Bogotá is also known as the "culture capital" of Colombia (although some Colombians opined that Medellín has much more to offer). One of the "must see" museums here is the Gold Museum. It was impressive, but unfortunately I was too sick to really enjoy it and just rushed through.
As always, one of the things I enjoyed most was the busy atmosphere on local markets.
The omnipresent coffee vendors (which you should avoid, because the taste of this cheap muck is really... not recommendable.
The ever-present cell phone rentals, which are very popular because they can buy "minutes" in large scale and therefore offer better conditions than most individuals have in their own contract. Therefore, many Colombians only have a cell phone to receive calls, but use these "street phones" to make them.
Fresh fruit and (mostly fried) snacks everywhere....
Colombians love fresh fruit juices. With many meals I got a fresh blackberry juice which was really good - and with free refill (portions in Colombia are not as over-sized as in Mexico - and most people are much leaner - so you can enjoy a second helping).
I would have loved to buy some souvenirs, but with limited luggage space... Next time.
In one of my last days in Colombia, I saw a nice lightshow in the central plaza (Plaza de Armas).
I also made a half-day trip to the world's largest cross made out of salt and located in a former salt mine (but then again, how many are there).
| Slightly too "ripped" Jesus... |
As I said, the street vendors' coffee is only cheap, but nothing else. Yet, coffee shops like "Colombia's Starbucks" Juan Valdez are really good. Stayed there several hours and finished my great travel literature I had bought before leaving Mexico.
Next destination after Bogotá was Villa de Leyva - really nice, but with a very very unpleasant occurence. More about it in my next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment