Thursday, February 26, 2015

Back in Mexico City... and shamelessly indulging

Just to make things clear... Currently I'm back to Cholula, not Mexico City. But as this blog lags a lil bit reality, I'll just let you take part in the indulgences I enjoyed when I returned to Mexico after my stay in Colombia. But let's start with my first impressions after returning to my "second home". Mexico City can be so nice!

Mexican flea markets always make for a nice retro item.

Leaving Bosque de Chapultepec towards Reforma avenue (the city's biggest public park)
SIX times did I go to the Museum of Contemporary Art, just to read always the same sign: Tickets sold out for today. So annoying. In the end, I did not see the exposition.

This was the waiting line for the museum. Since when are Mexicans so much into arts? And moreover, on a weekday???

Ok, enjoying the relaxed atmosphere in the park instead.


View from the park's castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)

View from the park's castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)

Ok, and now let's talk food. Good food. Man, was this a relief after so much mediocre food in Colombia!

Sashimi@Rokai

Eggplant simmered in soy sauce, egg roll, squid tempura @ Rokai

Highly concentrated photo shooting


Sushi @ Rokai

For a bit of variation, another impression from Mexico City:


And now back to serious stuff (food, that is - just in case you wondered). On Mexico City's Central Market La Merced, I had some more shrimp cocktails, which I had fallen in love with in Orizaba (travel report follows).

Shrimp cocktails look so disgusting, I shunned them for more than 1 year... but H. convinced me to try at least once - and she was right, totally worth it!

Chirashi Sushi @ Hyatt

Chirashi Sushi @ Hyatt
As a bit of self-justification: I did not eat all this within the first few days, but I actually enjoyed it in the course of several weeks. Just after my return to Mexico, during New Year, which I spent with H., and right before university started.

Oh, apropos New Year. Some days ago (and now I'm talking real time), H. and I celebrated Korean New Year, which was on February 19th. She gave me some traditional gifts like beautiful fruit, and some less traditional ones like cashew nuts by the kilo and coconut water by the liter (ever mentioned that I'm crazy for them?!).

And to make celebration a bit more original, we played 윷놀이 (Yut Nori), a traditional board game for Solnal aka Korean New Year:


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the author

German student, studying for two years at UDLAP in Cholula, Mexico